SOME OBSERVATIONS INTO THE THELEMIC
GEMATRIA OF LIBER AL vel LEGIS
Sub figura CCXX
As delivered by XCIII = 418 to DCLXVI
1. Abrahadabra; the reward of Ra Hoor Khut.
Abrahadabra – the word contains five letters ‘a’, (Hebrew letter Aleph) symbolic of the pentagram (or the’ pentalpha’). Aleph in full=111 (111x5=555). 555=HAD in full. Abrahadabra= 11 letters (5 the pentagram + 6 the hexagram, the union of the microcosm with the macrocosm and it therefore represents the completion of the Great Work). Notice also that the first verse contains five words, five being the ‘elements’ and the pentagram, the symbol of Hadit. In chapter I was the ‘manifestation’, in chapter II the ‘hiding’ and here in chapter III is the ‘reward’. Also ‘Ra Hoor Khut’ is spelt without ‘yod’ [Khuit] which may have some significance as to a formula or gematria.
2. There is division hither homeward; there is a word not known. Spelling is defunct; all is not aught. Beware! Hold! Raise the spell of Ra-Hoor-Khuit!
‘word not known. Spelling is defunct;’ – ‘Ra-Hoor-Khuit’ now contains the ‘yod’ and is spelt in the familiar way.
3. Now let it be first understood that I am a god of War and of Vengeance. I shall deal hardly with them.
4. Choose ye an island!
Island=Chokhma on the tree of life. Ye= Yod/He=10+5=15, the mystic number of Geburah. Island could also mean a part of the psych that is weak and needs to be ‘healed’ or strengthened to attain perfect equilibrium in order to perform the Great Work.
5. Fortify it!
Make it strong!
6. Dung it about with enginery of war!
7. I will give you a war-engine.
8. With it ye shall smite the peoples; and none shall stand before you.
9. Lurk! Withdraw! Upon them! this is the Law of the Battle of Conquest: thus shall my worship be about my secret house.
The beginning of the verse implies a magickal formula known to initiates.
10. Get the stele of revealing itself; set it in thy secret temple -- and that temple is already aright disposed -- & it shall be your Kiblah for ever. It shall not fade, but miraculous colour shall come back to it day after day. Close it in locked glass for a proof to the world.
The Stele of Revealing which was numbered 666 in the Boulak Museum, Cairo. The Stele (which is the stele of the Priest Ankh-f-n-khonsu) shows the image of Horus in his form as Ra-Hoor-Khuit. Above him is the Winged Globe and above that the bent figure of the Goddess Nuit, her feet and hands touching the earth.
11. This shall be your only proof. I forbid argument. Conquer! That is enough. I will make easy to you the abstruction from the ill-ordered house in the Victorious City. Thou shalt thyself convey it with worship, o prophet, though thou likest it not. Thou shalt have danger & trouble. Ra-Hoor-Khu is with thee. Worship me with fire & blood; worship me with swords & with spears. Let the woman be girt with a sword before me: let blood flow to my name. Trample down the Heathen; be upon them, o warrior, I will give you of their flesh to eat!
The Victorious City is Cairo and the ill-ordered house is the Boulak Museum.
Ra-Hoor-Khu by its nature seems to suggest that it manifests in the soul or ‘khu’ of the adept. By this thinking, Ra-Hoor-Khuit may be an element which manifests as ‘the Lord of the aeon of Horus’ and Ra-Hoor-Khut as an element of the manifestation which appears as the initiator of the magickal current from the Kiblah, or Boleskine.
‘let blood flow to my name’ in its secret sense suggests semen.
12. Sacrifice cattle, little and big: after a child.
LITTLE=30+10+9+9+30+5=93 (3x31, La ShT Al, Thelema).
CHILD= By the Tarot VII+XVII+IX+VIII+III=44 (DM blood).
This is not a licence to perform a sacrifice; child in this sense is the unborn child of the adept, in other words, semen.
13. But not now.
14. Ye shall see that hour, o blessed Beast, and thou the Scarlet Concubine of his desire!
15. Ye shall be sad thereof.
16. Deem not too eagerly to catch the promises; fear not to undergo the curses. Ye, even ye, know not this meaning all.
‘Know not’ – ALL (1+30+30=61) AL+LA.
Ye= Yod, He, the Beast and the Scarlet Woman.
17. Fear not at all; fear neither men nor Fates, nor gods, nor anything. Money fear not, nor laughter of the folk folly, nor any other power in heaven or upon the earth or under the earth. Nu is your refuge as Hadit your light; and I am the strength, force, vigour, of your arms.
18. Mercy let be off; damn them who pity! Kill and torture; spare not; be upon them!
19. That stele they shall call the Abomination of Desolation; count well its name, & it shall be to you as 718.
718= Upsilon – pi – omicron – mu – omicron – nu – eta = persistence, a Greek noun corresponding to ‘perdurabo’.
Steel 666= CTHAH=546 (CT counts as 500 or 52 when CT is 6).
20. Why? Because of the fall of Because, that he is not there again.
WHY (taking Tzaddi as the Emperor in the Tarot) = V+XVII+IX=XXXI (31).
21. Set up my image in the East: thou shalt buy thee an image which I will show thee, especial, not unlike the one thou knowest. And it shall be suddenly easy for thee to do this.
22. The other images group around me to support me: let all be worshipped, for they shall cluster to exalt me. I am the visible object of worship; the others are secret; for the Beast & his Bride are they: and for the winners of the Ordeal x. What is this? Thou shalt know.
The ordeal X is perhaps an allusion to the crossing of the Abyss.
23. For perfume mix meal & honey & thick leavings of red wine: then oil of Abramelin and olive oil, and afterward soften & smooth down with rich fresh blood.
Oil of Abramelin: 8 parts Cinnamon oil, 4 parts Myrrh oil, 2 parts Galangal oil, and 7 parts olive oil. (Essential oils are usually used for this).
24. The best blood is of the moon, monthly: then the fresh blood of a child, or dropping from the host of heaven: then of enemies; then of the priest or of the worshippers: last of some beast, no matter what.
Blood of the moon= menstrual blood. In the aeon of Horus sexual energies are utilized and where it is written blood it usually means semen or the conjoined elements found after sexual intercourse.
25. This burn: of this make cakes & eat unto me. This hath also another use; let it be laid before me, and kept thick with perfumes of your orison: it shall become full of beetles as it were and creeping things sacred unto me.
Cakes of Light (see verse 23 above):
A simple recipe is 1.5 cups of flour, 6 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil, 7 table spoons of honey, 1 table spoon of wine leavings and 7 drops of Abramelin oil. The ‘rich fresh blood’ I would suggest is an optional ingredient but I would say that 1 drop or a certain number peculiar to a particular operation would suffice. These ‘cakes’ are generally used in the Gnostic Mass and the Mass of the Phoenix, but they can be used in other rites as the adept desires.
26. These slay, naming your enemies; & they shall fall before you.
27. Also these shall breed lust & power of lust in you at the eating thereof.
28. Also ye shall be strong in war.
29. Moreover, be they long kept, it is better; for they swell with my force. All before me.
30. My altar is of open brass work: burn thereon in silver or gold!
31. There cometh a rich man from the West who shall pour his gold upon thee.
32. From gold forge steel!
Gold represents Tiphereth and ‘forge steel’ suggests Geburah.
33. Be ready to fly or to smite!
34. But your holy place shall be untouched throughout the centuries: though with fire and sword it be burnt down & shattered, yet an invisible house there standeth, and shall stand until the fall of the Great Equinox; when Hrumachis shall arise and the double-wanded one assume my throne and place. Another prophet shall arise, and bring fresh fever from the skies; another woman shall awake the lust & worship of the Snake; another soul of God and beast shall mingle in the globed priest; another sacrifice shall stain the tomb; another king shall reign; and blessing no longer be poured To the Hawk-headed mystical Lord!
Snake – the serpent-god= Hadit. [Apep – APP=1+80+80=161].
‘double-wanded one’ is Thmaist (the dual form of Thmaist is Thmais and Thmait and in Greek it is Themis). ‘Blessing’ (semen) ‘poured To the Hawk-headed mystical Lord!’ who is Horus.
35. The half of the word of Heru-ra-ha, called Hoor-pa-kraat and Ra-Hoor-Khut.
Horus and Ra and Spirit. Ha=5+1=6=the sun (and the Hexagram).
36. Then said the prophet unto the God:
37. I adore thee in the song --
I am the Lord of Thebes, and I
The inspired forth-speaker of Mentu;
For me unveils the veiled sky,
The self-slain Ankh-af-na-khonsu
Whose words are truth. I invoke, I greet
Thy presence, O Ra-Hoor-Khuit!
Unity uttermost showed!
I adore the might of Thy breath,
Supreme and terrible God,
Who makest the gods and death
To tremble before Thee: --
I, I adore thee!
Appear on the throne of Ra!
Open the ways of the Khu!
Lighten the ways of the Ka!
The ways of the Khabs run through
To stir me or still me!
Aum! let it fill me!
RA=201. KHU=31. KA=21.
38. So that thy light is in me; & its red flame is as a sword in my hand to push thy order. There is a secret door that I shall make to establish thy way in all the quarters, (these are the adorations, as thou hast written), as it is said:
The light is mine; its rays consume
Me: I have made a secret door
Into the House of Ra and Tum,
Of Khephra and of Ahathoor.
I am thy Theban, O Mentu,
The prophet Ankh-af-na-khonsu!
By Bes-na-Maut my breast I beat;
By wise Ta-Nech I weave my spell.
Show thy star-splendour, O Nuit!
Bid me within thine House to dwell,
O winged snake of light, Hadit!
Abide with me, Ra-Hoor-Khuit!
Ra, Tum, Ahathoor and Kephra pertain to the various stations of the sun throughout its course: Dawn (East), Noon (South), Sunset (West), and Midnight (North). See Liber Resh vel Helios.
39. All this and a book to say how thou didst come hither and a reproduction of this ink and paper for ever -- for in it is the word secret & not only in the English -- and thy comment upon this the Book of the Law shall be printed beautifully in red ink and black upon beautiful paper made by hand; and to each man and woman that thou meetest, were it but to dine or to drink at them, it is the Law to give. Then they shall chance to abide in this bliss or no; it is no odds. Do this quickly!
40. But the work of the comment? That is easy; and Hadit burning in thy heart shall make swift and secure thy pen.
The comment is found at the end of the Book:
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
The study of this Book is forbidden. It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading.
Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril. These are most dire.
Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.
All questions of the Law are to be decided only by appeal to my writings, each for himself.
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
Love is the law, love under will.
The priest of the princes,
41. Establish at thy Kaaba a clerk-house: all must be done well and with business way.
KAABA=20+1+1+2+1=25 (5x5) the Pentagram in action.
42. The ordeals thou shalt oversee thyself, save only the blind ones. Refuse none, but thou shalt know & destroy the traitors. I am Ra-Hoor-Khuit; and I am powerful to protect my servant. Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not over much! Them that seek to entrap thee, to overthrow thee, them attack without pity or quarter; & destroy them utterly. Swift as a trodden serpent turn and strike! Be thou yet deadlier than he! Drag down their souls to awful torment: laugh at their fear: spit upon them!
43. Let the Scarlet Woman beware! If pity and compassion and tenderness visit her heart; if she leave my work to toy with old sweetnesses; then shall my vengeance be known. I will slay me her child: I will alienate her heart: I will cast her out from men: as a shrinking and despised harlot shall she crawl through dusk wet streets, and die cold and an-hungered.
Scarlet woman in Greek=667 [eta, – kappa – omicron – kappa – kappa – iota – nu – eta, – gamma – upsilon – nu – eta] and its initial eta, kappa, gamma= 8+20+3=31.
44. But let her raise herself in pride! Let her follow me in my way! Let her work the work of wickedness! Let her kill her heart! Let her be loud and adulterous! Let her be covered with jewels, and rich garments, and let her be shameless before all men!
45. Then will I lift her to pinnacles of power: then will I breed from her a child mightier than all the kings of the earth. I will fill her with joy: with my force shall she see & strike at the worship of Nu: she shall achieve Hadit.
46. I am the warrior Lord of the Forties: the Eighties cower before me, & are abased. I will bring you to victory & joy: I will be at your arms in battle & ye shall delight to slay. Success is your proof; courage is your armour; go on, go on, in my strength; & ye shall turn not back for any!
40=Mem, 80= Pe, Mars etc. ‘Go on’ Go=73, Gimel in full, On=56 or 120. ANY=1+50+10=61.
47. This book shall be translated into all tongues: but always with the original in the writing of the Beast; for in the chance shape of the letters and their position to one another: in these are mysteries that no Beast shall divine. Let him not seek to try: but one cometh after him, whence I say not, who shall discover the Key of it all. Then this line drawn is a key: then this circle squared in its failure is a key also. And Abrahadabra. It shall be his child & that strangely. Let him not seek after this; for thereby alone can he fall from it.
‘circle squared in its failure is a key also’ – ALHIM – The mathematical Pi to four places= 3.1415 (more accurately 3.1416). Notice 31! Placing ShT before it we get Pi correct to six places 3.141593= ShTALHIM =300+9+1+30+5+10+40=395. This is reversed to give 593. ‘In its failure’ – Pi more accurately would be: 3.1415926535…
IT= 10+9=19. It was Charles Stansfield Jones (Frater AChAD who is ‘one’) who discovered the ‘key of it all’ (the number 31) in the year 1918 and he was the ‘child’ prophesised by the Book because Crowley and Soror Hilarion (Jean Robert Foster) performed a magical operation to produce a magical child, thus AChAD was ‘born’, he became a Babe of the Abyss. Crowley’s letter to AChAD of 9th September 1919 reads:
‘Your key opens Palace.CCXX has unfolded like a flower. All solved, even II.76 & III.47…. AL’AIN the Priest…..666’. For more on this see Liber 31.
48. Now this mystery of the letters is done, and I want to go on to the holier place.
49. I am in a secret fourfold word, the blasphemy against all gods of men.
50. Curse them! Curse them! Curse them!
51. With my Hawk's head I peck at the eyes of Jesus as he hangs upon the cross.
52. I flap my wings in the face of Mohammed & blind him.
53. With my claws I tear out the flesh of the Indian and the Buddhist, Mongol and Din.
54. Bahlasti! Ompehda! I spit on your crapulous creeds.
The words ‘Bahlasti’ and ‘Ompehda’ have the appearance of Enochian words.
OMPEHDA(H)=70+40+80+5+5+4+1+5=210 ( a reduction from two to nought).
55. Let Mary inviolate be torn upon wheels: for her sake let all chaste women be utterly despised among you!
56. Also for beauty's sake and love's!
Perhaps a reference to Babalon and the Beast.
57. Despise also all cowards; professional soldiers who dare not fight, but play; all fools despise!
58. But the keen and the proud, the royal and the lofty; ye are brothers!
59. As brothers fight ye!
60. There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
61. There is an end of the word of the God enthroned in Ra's seat, lightening the girders of the soul.
62. To Me do ye reverence! to me come ye through tribulation of ordeal, which is bliss.
63. The fool readeth this Book of the Law, and its comment; & he understandeth it not.
‘The fool’ (Parzival= Frater O.I.V.V.I.O. who is also AChAD – Charles Stansfield Jones) ‘understandeth it’ (he was a Magister Templi which is the grade attributed to understanding) ‘not’ (meaning to be ‘not’. PARZIVAL=418. Parzival is AChAD which means ‘unity’, and the letter of unity is ‘Aleph’ which is the letter of the ‘fool’ in the Tarot. ‘NOT’ in Hebrew is ‘LA’ which is 31 and ‘AL’ is God, also 31. The third 31 is the double letter ShT (XX + XI in the Tarot). 31+31+31=93.
64. Let him come through the first ordeal, & it will be to him as silver.
65. Through the second, gold.
66. Through the third, stones of precious water.
67. Through the fourth, ultimate sparks of the intimate fire.
68. Yet to all it shall seem beautiful. Its enemies who say not so, are mere liars.
69. There is success.
70. I am the Hawk-Headed Lord of Silence & of Strength; my nemyss shrouds the night-blue sky.
71. Hail! ye twin warriors about the pillars of the world! for your time is nigh at hand.
72. I am the Lord of the Double Wand of Power; the wand of the Force of Coph Nia--but my left hand is empty, for I have crushed an Universe; & nought remains.
‘I am’ in Greek= epsilon – iota – mu – iota =5+10+40+10=65 [6+5=11.
65= Samekh (60) + He (5). In the Tarot Samekh=XIV and He=XVII [XIV+XVII=XXXI (31)].
Coph Nia=100+61=161. Coph in the Tarot= KVPh=31. KVPh NIA in full=434 (4+3+4=11). [KOPh NIA=231 which is the sum of the first 22 numbers 0+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21=231.
KPh=K the Kteis (the moon) and Ph the Phallus (the sun), their conjunction produces NIA (61) – AIN (the negative) and ANI (the ego).
73. Paste the sheets from right to left and from top to bottom: then behold!
74. There is a splendour in my name hidden and glorious, as the sun of midnight is ever the son.
‘the sun of midnight is ever the son’= the sun of midnight= Kephra, of which it is stated is ‘ever the son’ – Son in the Tarot= XIV+XV+XIII=XXXVIII (38) 3+8=11 and 38x11=418.
Also, SUN=60+6+50=116 and SON=60+6+50=116, and also by the Tarot we can get XIV+V+XIII=XXVIII (28) for both ‘sun’ and ‘son’. 28= KCh=Power and it is the mystic number of Netzach. Also note that by addition sun+son=28+28=56 – NV (Nuit).
75. The ending of the words is the Word Abrahadabra.
The Book of the Law is Written
Abrahadabra, the word of eleven letters. Hoor-pa-kraat and Ra-Hoor-Khuit also have eleven letters each.
Aum-Ha= Aum=111 and Ha=6. [111x6+666]. Aum (mem final)=671 which is Throa, the Gate of Adonai in full.
75, the final verse= NUIT (50+6+10+9=75).